Month 2 in Kyrgyzstan is officially complete. I only have 2 weeks left of training before I become an official Peace Corps Volunteer and head off to the site which will be my home for the next 2 years. To say this month flew by would be an understatement. It was full of exciting firsts, growing moments and plenty of challenges. I've tried to post about as many of these moments as possible. However, there's so many it's almost to include them all. In an effort to sum up as much as possible, here's the official recap of Month 2:
- I went on my first hike in Kyrgyzstan!!
- When I learned I was coming to Kyrgyzstan, one thing that really made me excited was the prospect of living near mountains. I've always enjoyed hiking but haven't lived anywhere where it is something you can easily do.
- However, this month our cohort of trainees went on a hike to Issyk-Ata (aka Hot Dad in Kyrgyz). Here's a couple fast facts:
- It was roughly 8 miles
- We stopped at a waterfall and a river
- I don't think I've ever seen a prettier view in my life
- Also I have to acknowledge @girlswhostep in honor of the many steps walked this day. Brooke, if you're reading this ily and i miss our walks everyday
- I joined a dance troupe
- For anyone who knows me, this is especially funny since I'm a notoriously bad dancer
- I was recruited to join by my 14 year old host sister (who's also the dance team captain/coach)
- It was one of the most intense practices of my life
- We only had one practice, but I'd like to think that this is a continued thing
- In reality, I have learned quite a few traditional Kyrgyz dances this month, although not all have been from this dance troupe but instead Culture Day (which you can read all about in the previous post)
- Teaching Practicum!!!
- This was two weeks where we actually were able to be in a classroom and teach the kids in our village English
- We were also able to co-teach with the local English teacher which was really beneficial because that's what we'll be doing at our permanent site
- It was definitely a learning experience but overall very helpful and made me even more excited to teach for the next 2 years
Demonstrating a game called "Lion, Hunter, Princess"
One of my student's drawing of me during an activity
- Bishkek Trips
- This month we were able to go to Bishkek (the capital of Kyrgyzstan) for the first time and I have been several times since
- The city is full of things to do and restaurants to try
- Some favorite things I've done so far include: going to the Osh Bazaar, visiting the Kyrgyz National Historic Museum, a Harry Potter themed cafe, and seeing this statue of Shrek in the middle of a park
- This has also been a great opportunity to practice our Kyrgyz language skills (although the majority of Bishkek speaks Russian)
- Most of the time when we attempt to speak Kyrgyz the local people are equally impressed and confused, and want to keep talking/asking questions about what we're doing in Kyrgyzstan (I can't say I understand 100% of what they're saying, but it's definitely getting better)
| The Kyrgyz National Historic Museum |
| Shrek in Bishkek |
- Speak Now (Taylor's Version) was released and 1989 (Taylor's Version) was announced --- the most important news of them all
- I know this doesn't directly involve me, but if you know anything about me, you also know how much of my lives revolves around t-swift
- So for those concerned: yes I have listened to Speak Now (TV) and I am aware 1989 (TV) is coming out
- If anyone's curious, Foolish One is my favorite SNTV vault track
In all, this has been a whirlwind of a month, and I feel like there has been very little time to relax and rest (or in Kyrgyz es all --- one of my favorite Kyrgyz phrases). However, although it's been busy, this month I've also been able to learn more about the country of Kyrgyzstan and the deep history surrounding the land and its people. Along with the history that's encompassed in museums, buildings and the statues that line the street, every single person I've spoken to also has their own version of history and what Kyrgyzstan means to them. It has been so interesting to hear different stories from my language teacher who served in the Soviet Military to my host dad who grew up in the same village he now raises his kids in. Everyone has their own Kyrgyz history and also knows the history of the people who came before them. Therefore, this second month post is named after "Timeless" (Taylor's Version) (From The Vault) -- also in honor of Speak Now (TV) being released this month. Spoiler: the song is not similar to anything I just said but the name is fitting (and the other option for this was the "Cha Cha Slide" because I listened to it approximately 56 times during teaching practicum).
Anyways that's it for Month 2, stay tuned for the following few weeks that include site announcement, the swearing in ceremony and moving to my permanent site!
So fun to read, and so many comments. But I told Paige I would relay her message. She is really upset that you are not answering emails to sign up for animal checks!!! LOL
ReplyDelete