Search "Emily in KGZ"

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Month 3: "Begin Again"

 It has officially been 3 months in Kyrgyzstan, so it’s time for another month recap with all the little stories I haven’t had a chance to tell yet. This month has by far been the busiest and the fastest month yet. We started the month as trainees still living in our training villages and ended it as volunteers spread out all around Kyrgyzstan. To say a lot happened would be an understatement. If you haven’t read my latest posts with the newest life updates, you should check those out. Until then, here’s a few things that have happened that are never before seen on the blog: 

  • We had our official Kyrgyz Language Test
    • It was at the end of our 2-month training where I went from knowing 0 Kyrgyz to being able to survive on my own
    •  All I have to say is I'm glad it's over (although my Kyrgyz lessons are not)

  • I went to a wedding
    • This was during my last weekend in my training village and it was super special because my host parents were the "Okul Apa and Ata" (equivalent of the Bride and Groom's Godparents)
      • Fun Fact: in Kyrgyzstan, the Okul Apa and Ata are responsible for buying the wedding rings (therefore, I did try on the bride's ring at my house beforehand)
    • This was a very traditional wedding at the Groom's house with several ceremonies involved
      • First, the bride was behind a curtain with her hair tied up in a white scarf - it is tradition that the bride should remain there until later in the night
      • There were several presentations involving jewelry
        • First, the groom's sister in law presented the new bride with a pair of earring and placed them on her
        • Second, my host parents presented them with their rings, making them officially husband and wife
The Wedding Setup (my host mom loved to take pictures of me at every opportunity) 

  • I made apple turnovers
    • This was a very big deal for me because I made the dough from scratch and had no way to measure anything AND they actually tasted good
The Aforementioned Turnovers

  • So many goodbyes
    • Now that my cohort is officially volunteers, we are all spread out around Kyrgyzstan and after spending nearly every day with them for 11 weeks, saying goodbye at the end of the Swearing In Ceremony was harder for some people (me) than others (everyone else)
Documentation of Goodbyes

  • I watched Rihanna's Super Bowl Halftime Show 6 times
    • My new host family love's Rihanna (I mean who doesn't)
  • Even though I haven't taught an official lesson yet (I've spent the past two weeks observing), the kids at my school are so excited for me to be there and can't wait to start learning 
    • Seriously, the third graders have started applauding every time I walk in the room
    • I'd like to imagine this is what it's like to be a D-List celebrity with a very niche group of fans

One of my student's message to me after class
 
That's all I have for little stories and moments from this month. With this, this month's post is titled "Begin Again" (and if we're getting specific: "Begin Again (Taylor's Version)").  Now that training is over and my life as a volunteer has begun, it is time for the real work and service to begin. A new host family, a new village, a new title and a new set of things to look forward during the next 2 years of service. 

2 comments:

  1. Your stories always make me smile. I am so glad you are enjoying this journey. Can't wait to come and meet your Kyrgyz family.

    ReplyDelete